Friday, June 06, 2008

Summer Fun: Spicy Toasted Hot Dog Buns Recipe

This was one of the first recipes I successfully reproduced as a kid. It was from a giant cookbook collection (I think from McCalls?), that my mom likely got as a wedding present. They had one whole volume dedicated to recipes kids could try, and this one caught my eye right away when I was little.

I've loved it ever since then, and have made it throughout my life. It's a fun alternative to the traditional triad of mustard, ketchup and relish toppings.

Note: We didn't have chili sauce in the house growing up, so I got used to them without it.


Spicy Toasted Hot Dog Buns
Serves 4

4 hot dog buns
2 tbsp softened butter or margarine
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp minced or grated onion
4 hot dogs
1 tsp canola or other oil, for frying the hot dogs
1/4 cup chili sauce (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Mix the margarine/butter, parsley, and onion together with a spoon until it is soft and creamy. Open up the hot dog buns, spread the inside of each bun with the mix. Place the buns in pie plate and bake for 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, cook the hot dogs in greased skillet over low heat. Place hotdog in each roll and top with 1 tbsp of chili sauce and serve piping hot.

3 comments:

Unique Occasions said...

Made these spicy toasted hot buns twice now. Absolutely love this twist on what is usually a regular hot dog. I made a change after the first time. Baking for 15 minutes dried out the buns. They were a little too hard. Second time I put them under the broiler and simply toasted. So yummy!

Cindy Hutton said...

Does the dry mustard get added to the butter mixture. I am definitely going to try this. Thanks.

Ann Morash said...

To Cindy Hutton: yes, sorry I didn't make that clear in the recipe, the dry mustard gets mixed in along with all the rest! Hope you enjoy!