Friday, May 18, 2007

The new Vesey's catalogue for fall bulbs has come!

I love it when the newest gardening catalogue comes out - this time, it's for bulbs you plant in the fall for flowering next spring. Vesey's has great bulbs, and some really unusual selections. So I thought I'd share some of the things I'd buy, if I had the budget!

Allium 'Globemaster' - basically, a giant flowering onion. They look SO cool!


Gorgeous peony tulip varieties - 'Angelique' on the left, and Melrose' on the right. They're so pretty with their variegated petals.


Coneflowers - Echinacea - the herb that many say can help you fight off a cold, now comes in more than purple! These Echinacea purpurea are really pretty, with 'Sundown' on the left and 'Harvest Moon' on the right.


And of course, I have to include my all-time favorite, poppies papaver (extremely popular in Ukrainian folk art, I draw them all the time, and love to grow them). We've got your classic beauty, 'Brilliant' (left), and a new one I haven't seen before, that I think would go great with it, called 'Royal Chocolate Distinction', on the right.


I've never grown daffodils myself, but they are widely enjoyed and grown throughout Canada (and I'm sure elsewhere). The Canadian Cancer Society has the daffodil as a symbol, and sells them in April, when they do their big charity drives. This particular daffodil, 'Green Pearl' is truly striking, with bright white petals and a chartreuse green center. Gorgeous!


And finally, these sweet little flowers look so perky and bright, you couldn't help but smile when you'd see them in the garden! Bold colors combined in each flower! It's a mix, called Wandflower (Sparaxis)



Of course, in addition to all of these great varieties, there's lots more to choose from, from the early-rising crocuses, to mid-spring tulips, to summer-blooming lilies, and everything in between. Check it out and plant something fun this year!

Link: Vesey's Seeds (only ships to Canada and the US. If you can't order from here, look to your local garden center for similar varieties). :)