Friday, April 27, 2007

Awesome site, and new sighting! :)

Yesterday, while Casey and I were walking along the edges of the deep forest, I believe I saw my first Boreal Chickadee. Of course, I didn't have my camera with me, so I missed out on taking a picture of both the bird, and the abundance of Mayflowers blooming there (*sigh*). So, a couple of minutes ago, I thought I'd look around online and see if I could find someone else's picture of the Boreal Chickadee, and I found the most awesome site!

Cornell Lab of Ornithology: All About Birds

has not only photos of the Boreal Chickadee (see here) but also recordings of the SOUNDS that the bird makes! It has listings for tons and tons of North American birds, including most of the ones I have mentioned here in my blog! (Plus maps of where the birds can be found, and other cool facts).

I've been playing the sounds for the last little while, and Baby Boy is FREAKING! He's running from window to window, all around the basement, tail swishing madly, trying to see where all these birdsongs are coming from!

So, if you want to hear what some of the more common birds I've mentioned here sound like, head on over to the All About Birds site!

Ring Necked Pheasant (ours sounds a little more like a turkey than the one here)
Song Sparrow - such a pretty little song he makes!
White Throated Sparrow
Black-Capped Chickadee
Junco
House Finch (although looking at these different pictures, I think it might be a Purple Finch we have around our feeder...)
Mourning Dove
• And the loon, which is always heard off in the distance, such a beautiful, haunting cry.

I'm also happy to report that the frogs started singing last night! They're about a week later than they've been the last couple of years, but the weather just wasn't right for them yet. :) So now, they can sing to their hearts content (peep, peep, peep, peep, for hours and hours) until they find a mate!