Tuesday, April 08, 2008

No freakin' way-- Crusty, delicious bread with NO KNEADING??!!

I am blown away, and will be even more so if it really works. I was on the Mother Earth News page, and saw this article: Easy, No Knead Crusty Bread

I'll wait here while you go read it, and copy out the recipe for yourself.

...

You're back? Great! Holy crap, can it be THAT EASY? I mean, it's like a lazy person's DREAM method of bread making! It's something even I could do! No 3 hours, knead, rest 3 more hours, beat down, knead, 3 more hours and on and on it goes. Just mix the ingredients, wait a half a day, fold over, lightly coat in flour, pop it in the oven and you're done???!!! Soft bread inside, thick crusty coating outside. Wow.

If you missed the link at the end of the article, be sure to watch the video from the New York Times on YouTube showing the process step-by-step.

Something that struck me as unusual, but is probably a very important step: Remember to heat the Dutch Oven ahead of time in the oven - the video says that you want the pot "blazing hot".

It's still too cold here to have a consistent 70 deg F room temperature, so I'll have to wait another couple of months, but I am SO TOTALLY TRYING THIS!!!!

1 comment:

mister anchovy said...

I'm sure this bread is really good. That said, I have to say that I like kneading bread. In our culture everything is instant, and I like the fact that kneading bread puts me on an even footing with people all over the world for centuries and centuries. How did we ever figure it out?