Monday, June 12, 2006

World Cup 2006

Ahhh...it's such a relief to have something on tv ALL the time! I like to leave the tv on in the background when I work at the computer, etc, and I enjoyed the World Cup a lot four years ago - not just as background noise, but also because I actually learned a little about the game! But while I didn't watch much more soccer/football since then, I am glad to see the World Cup back again. Sports are always more enjoyable when you're watching the best in the world compete. :)

I loved the Trinidad and Tobago tie with Sweden - I never thought I'd be so excited about a tie before! I got a little weepy over it, really - T & T wanted it SO badly for their little country, and because of the tie, got their first ever World Cup point! Considering it was supposed to be a blowout for Sweden, a tie was a huge achievement they should really be proud of!

And I was SO touched by the gorgeous gift that Iran gave to Mexico before their match (it seems its customary to exchange a small gift between teams - but this was no small gift!) If you haven't seen it yet, check it out for sure! A gorgeous, hand made (I assume) miniature Persian rug (they did invent the Persian rug, after all) ;) with the flags of Iran and Mexico embroidered on it. What a beautiful gift! I hope the other teams that go against Iran noticed it, because they might have to upgrade the gift they planned on giving! :)

So, I will continue to enjoy watching the Cup for the next several weeks...and of course, as a good Canadian, will also be watching the rest of our "Cup" games - the Stanley Cup in hockey! :)