Tuesday, January 31, 2006

BUNNY FEET!

FINALLY! I have been out with Casey (my German shepherd) for months now, taking the occasional walk in the woods instead of up the road, and I finally saw bunny tracks today! We just had a light snowfall, and it was perfect for leaving tracks. I knew we had bunnies in the woods because we'd see them in the neighbourhood occasionally, but I was never able to find any when I was out for a walk in the woods. I was hoping to find a warren, but unfortunately these tracks today led from near someone's house, through the woods, to near someone else's house. Not wanting to intrude in a stranger's yard, I just gave up the search, but it was very fun, after months of just seeing little piles of rabbit poo and nothing else, to see these great big tracks, and even the little tail indentation. It was SO cute!!! Couldn't get pics, didn't have my camera (and besides which, Casey was obliterating the tracks as we went, saying "Oh, someone went ahead of us, I'll just follow in their footsteps for easier walking". Silly puppy, she doesn't know anything about searching for bunnies).

I am so tickled pink. :D

If you want to see a pic of the types of bunnies we have here, I found this picture here. This little guy is from farther up the coast, but they're probably very similar 'round here. (BTW, the links don't work on that page for some reason, but the picture's there).

EDIT: Just so you know, that's a summer coat the bunny has on. Around these parts, our rabbits change to white in the winter to blend in with the snow. :)