Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter everyone! I'm off to plan out my big meal for tomorrow: marmalade glazed ham, kielbasa (what we call koubasa), borscht, maple-glazed carrots, pidpenky, a delicious hash-brown casserole, pickled eggs, and wine-pickled beets! Should be delish! I've made some things ahead to make tomorrow easier. Looking forward to all that good food.

Here's a pick of some of my pysanky (Ukrainian Easter eggs) from a few years back, on a background of one of my embroidered cloths (the cloth isn't quite finished yet, I really need to get it done so I can use it in my Easter basket next year). :)



Don't forget, if you want to learn how to make these eggs yourself, check out my LearnPysanky site!

1 comment:

Allgaul said...

Hi Ann,
I used your learnpysanka site for a few tips. I left a few eggs unblown and wax on cause I got busy. I blew them out...first one inside, then the rest got a quick trip to the back yard because of the stench-hooray for OUST!
Anyway, the blow dryer technique is going to be how I take off wax from NOW ON! I had been using the broiler of the oven on a nest of tin foil in a tin foil pan, but that is nothing to how well the hairdryer works. I did 3 goose eggs and 3 chicken eggs. The goose eggs had some sand in them so they stayed put, but it took one chicken egg going overboard on my tile floor..well, you get the picture. I used a silicone spatula to hold the eggs down in a bowl so they didn't rock and roll, and it took less than 1 minute to get off all the wax without bubbling and burning the egg (or my hand) and used Goo Gone for the last step. I was even able to get the wax off the broken egg without having it split in pieces. It cracked but didn't shatter, luckily. Note to self: DO NOT LEAVE EGGS FOR 3 MONTHS BEFORE BLOWING OUT!
THANKS for this tip, I have been doing eggs for about...uh...44 years? OMG, well, we shall not discuss age, but I am next emailing my Aunt Jenny who will also LOVE to know about this technique. She is 1st gen. Ukrainian and taught me how. Enjoy your summer!