Thursday, September 20, 2007

Parity!


That is a word we have not heard in almost 30 years here in Canada - it's pretty exciting! Our dollar is now virtually on par with the American dollar.

I was at a bookstore with a friend yesterday, and I accidentally almost discouraged her from buying a book she wanted, when I pointed out how annoying it was to still have to be paying the Canadian list price on the back of the book, since our dollar was virtually on par with the American one. We're not the only ones discouraged and annoyed - a lot of people have been complaining, and I understand that publishers will be addressing this soon. It's a pain in the butt! I know they can't reprint all those book covers, but surely something can be done - there's no longer (at least for now) a reason for us to pay a $4-$6 higher price for books.

If I find an online petition or some such thing, I'll let you all know! :)

Otherwise, yay parity!


EDIT: I heard on the news tonight that the "great plan" publishers have come up with is to stop printing the American price on the back of book and mags, so we Canadians don't know how much more we're paying. Disgraceful.

2 comments:

MS CUTE PANTS said...

That's a really good point. The price of books should really be sold at the current exchange rate. Maybe that can implement a bar code for that!

Rhea said...

Oh, darn!! It used be so cheap for us Americans to go to Canada.