Monday, September 10, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle

Madeleine L'Engle died on Friday, at age 88.

I really loved her books when I was a kid. I don't know how many times I read A Wrinkle in Time - dozens, I'm sure. I had never read a science fiction book before (although I had watched lots of such stories on TV), and I was fascinated with the strange worlds and exotic mathematical concepts she explored - for someone like me who's always had trouble with math, this was good! I learned that math could be more than just boring multiplication tables. To boot, L'Engle had a fluid writing style, and the story was engaging - a young insecure girl finds the courage within herself to search for her missing father. Only, he's not missing on Earth...

I read and enjoyed two of the three followup books, A Wind in the Door and A Swiftly Tilting Planet, a few times. I liked seeing the characters change and grow (and of course, all the funky new science concepts), but I still feel that Wrinkle was the best.

So, I take a moment to pause and reflect on Ms. L'Engle's life, and thank her for her contribution to my own life, and the lives of so many others out there.

No comments: