Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Early Summer in the Swampland

Another lovely flower season is opening in the wetlands...


This wild iris blooms all over the place here, such a lovely and unusual flower to see growing wild.



And daisies, daisies, daises everywhere! So bright and fresh looking!

These roses grow wild all over Nova Scotia (and the rosehips from it were an important source of Vitamin C for early settlers - maybe they learned that from the Natives, I'm not sure...they probably did though). They smell lovely, and vary slightly from lighter to darker pink. I took a big whiff of this rose, and when I pulled back, I noticed the little white spider sitting there - *shudder*. Worst yet, he started to move his front pincers at me, like I had been threatening him with my nose. Don't worry dude, if I had known you were there, I would seriously have not gone near you! :D